Dutch Cemetery is loacted at Fort Kochi, Ernakulam(Kochi) district, Kerala. It is the oldest European cemetery in India, was reopened recently after extensive renovation work. The 284-year-old cemetery is considered to be a valuable source of information of hundreds on Europeans, both the Dutch and the English, who died in India on while business for their colonial empires.The tomb stones here are the most authentic record of the hundreds of Europeans who left their homeland on a mission to expand their colonial empires and changed the course of history of this land.The cemetery was locked, but fortunately the image I wanted to make was right in front of me, an easy shot through the bars of the entrance gate. The key symbol is the hand on the back of the tomb. It seems to beckon to us, as if, after all these years, it was waving us on to eternity.
As part of the renovation project, the tombs and markers were cleaned and restored and flowers planted around them. The entire graveyard was landscaped and its surrounding wall strengthened. The work was undertaken by local contractors and supervised by Indian archeologists.An unique feature of the tombs is that none of them display a cross, unlike modern tombs in the area which has a Christian presence. Both the big and small tombs.
|Address: Fort kochi Ernakulam(kochi), Kerala, India.
|District: Ernakulam district.
|Nearest City: Kalady, Angamally and Kochi.|
|Best time to visit: December to May.|
|The climate of Ernakulam is tropical and average maximum temperature of 36℃ in summer and minimum 18.0℃.
Interesting things to do:
|Watch the Tombs of Dutch and the English people and also flowers planted around them.
Interesting things to Visit:
Ernakulam at kochi is More popular as the Queen of the Arabian Sea, Kochi is a cluster of islands on the vast expanse of the Vembanad Lake.Some of these picturesque islands are Bolgatty, Vypeen, Gundu and Vallarpadam. The lake opens out into the Arabian Sea here to form one of the finest and the Arabs, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch and Gritish have all left their mark here.natural harbours in the world.
Historical Museum :
Important scenes of Kerala history are portrayed through through Sculptures. Greeting the visitor outside is a statue of Parasurama ,the mythological safe who is said to have created Kerala.
Bastion Bunglow :
Built in the Indo-European style way back in 1667 AD, Bastion Bungalow get its name from its location on the site of the Stromberg Bastion of the old, Dutch fort.
Bolghatty palace built by the Dutch in 1744. Later it became the seat of the British Resident of Cochin. Today it is a hotel run by K.T.D.C. The grounds have a small golf course & several vantage points for lovely views of the harbour & the sea.
Children's Park :
A high-tech children's Park with Non-Conventional Energy Museum and Musical Fountain. The Children enjoy a lot with the facilities available here.
Marine Drive is considered to be one of the most beautiful part of Kochy city. The marine walk is the main hangout for the local populace as the view of the backwaters and the harbour from here is excellent.
St. Francis Church:
The St. Francis Church was originally a wooden structure. In AD 1506, the Portuguese Viceroy, Dom Francisco Almeida was permitted by the Cochin Raja to reconstruct the buildings in stone masonry. Consequently, the Franciscan friars refurbished the wooden Church with bricks and mortar and a tiled roof was erected. When the Dutch captured Kochi in 1663, they converted it into their official church and made some renovations in AD 1779.
Pierce Leslie Bungalow:
Pierce Leslie Bungalow is loacted near Fort kochi, 13 km from Ernakulam, Ernakulam district, Kerala.Pierce Leslie Bungalow, built in 1862, is a representative of colonial buildings in Fort Kochi, 13 km away from Ernakulam. It was the former office of the famous coffee merchants, Pierce Leslie and Company.
Mobile range info:
How to reach?
Nearest Railway Station:
Ernakulam railway station
Kochi Intenational Airport
Long distance buses come to Kerala Road Transport Corporation's(KSRTC)station near Ernakulam South railway station.Private bus Station is near to Ernakulam North railway station at Kaloor.City bus service station is also located here. Autorickshaws are planetiful and reliable means to hopshop and to explore the city.
Nearest Visiting places:
It is Formed from the sand deposited when Cochin Port was deepened, Willington Island has a naval base, a railway terminus, a port, and customs offices.
Malayatoor is famous for the Catholic Church built on the 609 m high Malayatoor hill. This hill is dedicated to St. Thomas. Thousands of devotees visit this shrine to participate in the annual festival of Malayatoor Perunnal, in the month of March. St. Thomas is believed to have prayed at this shrine.
Bhoothathankettu is a place situated in a vast virgin forest. This mythologically popular picnic spot lies close to the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary at Thattekkadu. Two of the main irrigation projects of Ernakulam district - the Periyar Valley Irrigation Project and the Idamalayar Irrigation Project are also located nearby.
Hill Palace Museum, Thripunithura:
This is now the largest archaeological museum in Kerala and is the official residence of the Kochi royal family. The complex is a reflection of traditional architectural style of Kerala. Full-fledged ethno-archaeological articles and artifacts belonging to the Kochi royal family are all a luxury that the visitors to the place get to relish. In addition there are numerous species of flora including rare medicinal plants around the area.
It is one of the largest elephant training centres of South India. The beautiful river Periyar flows in the north of this place. The elephants are mainly trained for Safari. There is also a small zoo here.
This is artificial island named after Lord Willingdon, and a British viceroy to India is surrounded by beautiful, calm and serene backwaters. This sweet getaway was created from the soil obtained while deepening the docks at the Kochi harbor. This small piece of land is the headquarters of the Southern naval command and also an important trade center. Cruises along the gorgeous backwaters that surround the island are a luxury anyone would love to indulge in.
Built by the Portuguese in A.D.1506 as residence of the Portuguese governor, Bishop house is the oldest Catholic Dioceses in India located near the Parade ground, Fort Kochi. A prominent heritage of Fort Kochi, it is characterised by large arches in Gothic Style and has circular garden path winding up to the main entrance.
Situated on the banks of River Periyar, 45 km from Kochi is Kalady a pilgrim centre and the birth place of Adi Sankaracharya, the great Indian Philosopher of the 8th century AD. There are two shrines in memory of Adi Sankaracharya, one dedicated to him as Dakshinamurthy and the other to the goddess Sharada maintained by Sringeri Mutt. On the same premises there is also a spot (Brindavan) where Adi Sankaracharya`s mother Aryamba was cremated. In addition to it there is an ancient Shri Krishna Temple close by which was me family temple of Adi Sankaracharya.
Madhavan Nayar Foundation:
It is situated about 8 km from Ernakulam town at Edapally. It has life size figures revealing the historic episodes and events from the Neolithic to the neoteric era. The art gallery has 200 original paintings and sculptures, which are the works of the contemporary Indian artists. The light and sound shows with English and Malayalam commentaries attract a number of visitors.
Thattakkadu Bird Sanctuary:
This bird Sanctuary on the Kochi-Munnar road, about 20 km from Kothamangalam. This sanctuary is rightly named after its explorer Dr. Salim Ali, the renowned ornithologist. A variety of native birds like the Malabar grey-horn bill, the woodpecker, the parakeet etc can be seen here. The Ceylon frog-moth and rose-billed roller are among the rare birds found in this sanctuary. Various migrant birds also come here during the season.
Chendamangalam is a rare geographical combination of three rivers, seven inlets, hillocks and vast expanses of green plains. The Paliam Palace, abode of the Paliath Achans, hereditary Prime Ministers to the erstwhile Maharajas of Kochi, represents the architectural splendour of Kerala.
This was Built in the 16th century, Vasco House is believed to have been the residence of Vasco Da Gama, the first European to reach the Kerala shores. It is one of the oldest Portuguese residences in Fort Cochin. The straight lines of the balcony-cum-verandah with a series of typical European glass-paned windows are characteristics of the European era in Cochin.
Dutch Palace, Mattancherry:
Built by the Portuguese in the middle of the 16th century, this palace was taken over in 1663 by the Dutch, who added some improvements before presenting it to the Rajas of Cochin. The rajas also made more improvements. The palace is notable for some of the best mythological murals in India, particularly in the bed chambers. In that room one can see the entire story of Ramayana on the walls.
Fort kochi beach:
The main attraction of fort kochi beach is the historic fort that is the best example of indo- european architecture. It is an obscure fishing village that became the first European township in India. The raw and unused stretch of beach is a loner's delight, where one could swim, play cricket or volley ball and even manage to practice yoga.
Chinese Fishing Nets:
The only one of its kind in India, the Chinese Fishing Nets are believed to have been erected between 1350 and 1450 AD by traders from the court of the Chinese ruler Kublai Khan.
This church was originally built by the Portuguese, and was later recognized as a cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558. After the British demolished the original building in 1795, a new building was commissioned, to be further proclaimed as a Basilca which was proclaimed as a Basilica in 1984 by Pope John Paul II.
Nearest Petrol Pump:
Supplyco Petrol Bunk
BP Petrol Pump
BP Petrol Pump
Reliance Auto LPG Station
Hotel Le Meridian Cochin
Hotel Taj Residency
The Old Courtyard Hotel
Serena Spa Koder House
Chiramel Home Stay
Hotel Park Avenue
Casa Mia Homestay
Holidays in Fort Cochin
Things to carry:
Tips & Suggestions:
Help Line/Phone Number:
Tripunithura Police Station
ET North Police Station
Police Station Edappally
Hill palace police station
Sevana Medineeds Pvt Ltd.
Al Shifa Super Speciality Hospital For Piles
Chaithanya Eye Hospital
Gyno Speciality Hospital
Vijaya Insitute Of Medical Sciences
|Society/Community Phone Number:|
|It is situated in an idyllic and tranquil hill in Pallikkara, a little town 14 kms from Ernakulam. Veega Land prides itself as an amusement spot with unmatched quality standards, impeccable service, excellent rides and a host of modern facilities.Covering a landscaped area of 30 acres. Veegaland tours in Kerala combine nature, creativity and technology. Situated at an altitude of 300 meters above sea level, Veegaland is an amusement park inviting tourists to getaway from their worries and tensions. It beckons fun seekers, adventure enthusiasts and leisure travelers.....more|
|Cherai Beach is located at 40 kms from Ernakulam city. This lovely beach bordering Vypeen island is ideal for swimming. Dolphins are occasionally seen here. Cherai, is well known for sea food. The Pallipuram Fort built by the Portuguese is 4 Km from here. A typical kerala village with paddy fields and coconut groves nearby is an added attraction. Villas are of traditional ethnic Kerala style, built in harmony with natural products like cane, bamboo, thatched palm leaves, coir etc without inflicting the innate beauty of Mother Nature. All traditional Kerala Houses to suit your requirements with Cable T.V., Mini fridge, Telephone etc. You will enjoy the Beach games, swimming; fishing, boating, canoeing, rafting and backwater cruise during your holidays in Cherai Beach Resorts.....more|
|Fort Kochi Beach|
|Fort Kochi Beach also known as kochi beach is the finest beach of kerala. It is located 12 Km far from kochi(Ernakulam) city in kerala. The main attraction of fort kochi beach is the historic fort that is the best example of indo- european architecture. It is an obscure fishing village that became the first European township in India. The raw and unused stretch of beach is a loner's delight, where one could swim, play cricket or volley ball and even manage to practice yoga. If you are lucky, you also get sight of a dolphin.An obscure fishing village that became the first European township in India, Kochi has an eventful and colourful history. The town was shaped by the Portuguese, the Dutch and later the British. Finest time to enjoy Fort Kochi Beach is around New Year; the Cochin Carnival is world famous for its astonishing glamour and funs.....more|
|Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary|
|Thattekad Bird Sanctuary is about 13kms from Kothamangalam and about 71kms from Kochi Airport. Without guide or special permissions it's a dead end.The sanctuary was notified in 1983 based on a recommendation made by Dr. Salim Ali many years previously. Ali described Thattekad in the 1930's as the richest bird habitat in peninsular India, comparable only with the eastern Himalayas. Since then much of the forest has been diverted to cultivation and teak and mahogany plantation but what survives gives a glimpse of the phenomenal bird diversity of the once widespread lowland forests of Kerala.....more|
|Kerala Backwaters Ernakulam|
|Ernakulam Backwaters at kochi is More popular as the Queen of the Arabian Sea, Kochi is a cluster of islands on the vast expanse of the Vembanad Lake.Some of these picturesque islands are Bolgatty, Vypeen, Gundu and Vallarpadam. The lake opens out into the Arabian Sea here to form one of the finest and the Arabs, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch and Gritish have all left their mark here.natural harbours in the world.Half the fun of visiting Kochi is moving around on the local several quaint spots.Boat cruises from Kochi harbor to Willingdon Island, Mattancherry Place, the Jewish Synagogue, Fort Kochi and Bolgatty Island.Sunset cruise. 3 hour backwater village cruises which include visits to coir villages and coconut plantations.....more|
|Kerala Kathakali Centre|
|Kerala Kathakali Centre is located at Fort Kochi, Ernakulam District, Kerala.The Kerala Kathakali Centre was founded in 1990 in Kochi , the oldest city in Kerala and known as the Queen of the Arabian Sea .The Kerala Kathakali Center's aim is to popularize and encourage the classical arts of Kerala, discover new talents, and improve the standards of training and performances by rigorous discipline and dedication. Various traditional arts and rituals are also encouraged and performed at our Centre.The Golden Jubibee celebrations to mark 50 years of Kathakali in Delhi, the capital of India, will begin on 5 Nomber 2009. Dance Drama has been an integral part of Indian Culture and Kathakali is one such dance form. As a folk dance form, Kathakali has its roots in rural Kerala and the Kerala Kathakali Centre has been set up to popularize this dance form.....more|
|CSI Immanuel Church|
|CSI Immanuel Church, the oldest Anglican Church in Ernakulam, with a congregation that is almost a hundred years old.The churches in Ernakulam rank high among the prominent churches in Kerala. Nestled on the banks of Lake Vembanad, Ernakulam is a place dotted with several amazing spots of interest worth visiting on your tour to Kerala.CSI Immanuel Church is one of the most centrally located Churches in the city and caters to both a large body of regular worshippers and to the visitors to the city.CSI Immanuel Church is thronged by hordes of worshippers round the year......more|
|Karingachira St. George's Church is located at Karingachira, Near Tripunithura town,Ernakulam District, Kerala. It is established in 722 AD (Makaram 13), is one of the ancient churches of the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church. The lone saint of the Malankara Church, Mor Gregorius was ordained koorooyo (fourth order of deaconate) on September 14, 1857 at this church. The royal palace of the Highnesses of the erstwhile Cochin state. Marshy land on either side of a rivulet that flows west of the church had a few islands connected by paths (chira in Malayalam) made of bushes known locally as karingali which gave the place the name Karingalichira that later became Karingachira.Karingachira church is famous for its thamukku nercha (an offering of plantain mixed with a form of rice powder and jaggery) on December 3rd (Vrischikam 20). .....more|
|Mar Thoman Cheriapally Church|
|Mar Thoman Cheriapally Church is located at Kothamangalam, which is 14 km from Muvatthupuzha, Ernakulam District, Kerala.As the saint reached the church premises, the church bells began to toll. People living in the neighbourhood rushed to the church to find out what the commotion was about. And that was on 'Kanni 11th' in the Malayalam calendar (end of September), AD 1685. The Saint entered the church and sat on the steps of the 'Madbho'. There was a young deacon who was fluent in Syriac. When he realized that a Episcopo had stayed behind at Kozhipally, he and some members of the congregation set out for the place.The mortal remains of Maphryono Mor Baselios Yaldo, who arrived in Malankara in AD. 1685 and passed away shortly.....more|
|Mar Thoman Church–Mulanthuruthy|
|Mulanthuruthy Mar Thoman Church is located at Mulanthuruthy near Kanjiramattom, Ernakulam District, kerala.Mulanthuruthy Mar Thoman Church has great historical significance for the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church. The Mar Thoman Church was established between AD 1110 and 1125. In 1675, Mor Anthrayos arrived at this church and lived here for several years. Kunnassery Kunchakko Tharakan who was the minister of the king of Kaduthuruthy was instrumental in building this church.The church is famous for its historical importance. Mulanthuruthy church was the venue of the famous Mulanthuruthy Syond in 1876 convened by the Holy patriarch of Antioch Peter III. This church is also the home parish of the famous bishops of the Malankara Church known popularly as Kattumangattu Bavamar, the lone saint of the Malankara Church, Mor Gregorius and Malankara Metropolitan Kochuparambil Paulose Mor Koorilose.....more|
|Piravom Valiyapally Church|
|St. Mary's Church or Holy Kings Catholic Church is located Piravom, Ernakulam District, Kerala.This is an ancient church of the Catholics. It was built in the year 1821.This church is positioned on a picturesque hilltop and offers a breathtaking view for nature lovers. There is a lamp burning continuously round the clock. It is also famous as the Church of the Kings.The specialty of the Piravom Church is that the 'Oottu nercha' of twelve children is celebrated on Easter Eve. It is the only parish under Kottayam diocese, where this celebration is conducted.People from various parts of the country irrespective of caste, creed and religion reach this pilgrim centre for consolation and comfort with offerings to their ‘Kings’ who never refuse the prayers and tears of the devotees. This pilgrim centre stands as a fort of refuge, showering blessings, ecstasy, complacence and solace to millions of people far and near.....more|
|St George's Forane Church|
|St. George Forane Church is located in Edappally, about 10 kms from the city of Kochi. It is accessible by road from any part of India. Two national highways NH 47 and NH 17 join the bypass junction at Edappally which begins and continues up to Panvel, Maharashtra, in India. The nearest airport is Nedumbassery International Airport, hardly 22 km from Edappally. Edapally is also connected by rail, and there is a railway station at Edappally. Edappally is a fast growing suburb of Cochin City in Kerala state, southern India.The St.George's Forane Church has a glorious history of 14 centuries.The church is famous for its annualy held 9 days feast in May. Since the old church was found to be too small to accomodate the overgrown congregation in A.D. 1080 a new church was built in the present location.the Edappally Church also came to be known as the St. George's Church. The statue of St. George placed prominently for worship at this church shows the Saint mounted on his horseback with his spear piercing the ugly head of the monstrous serpent lying under the hooves of his horse. It is believed to be symbolic of the faith and courage of the Saint who overpowered the devil.....more|
|St. Francis Church at Kochi|
|The St. Francis Church is located in Fort Kochi, Ernakulam district, Kerala. It is the first European Church in India. Vasco da Gama, the first European to come to India was buried here at the St. Francis Church. St. Francis Church was originally dedicated to Santo Antonio, the patron Saint of Portugal. Situated 2 Km west of Mattancherry in Fort Cochin, This is a living historical monument and one of the main tourist attractions in Fort Kochi. This Church was originally a wooden structure.The St. Francis Church has no particular architectural merit, but it stands as a landmark of history and church architecture of India.....more|
|Church Of Our Lady Of Ransom|
|Church Of Our Lady Of Ransom is located at Vallarpadam, Ernakulam Dsitrict, Kerala.A major pilgrim centre for Christians, Church of Our Lady of Ransom is one of the oldest European Churches in India built by the Portuguese Missionaries. The church dedicated to the Holy Mary of Vallarpadam popularly known as 'Vallarapadath Amma'. Vallarpadom, which forms part of Kochi, is a small idyllic island on the Vembanad lake, with a serene and calm atmosphere. The serenity and peace, which is a salient feature of this island, can only be attributed to the presence of the historic church of Our Lady of Ransom. This church forms part of the diocese of Verapoly and revered by Catholics as a very sacred church.the Catholic Bishop's Conference of India (CBCI) raised the Church of Our Lady of Ransom at Vallarpadam Island to the status of a National Pilgrim Centre......more|
|St. George's Simhasana Church|
|St. George's Simhasana Church is located at Perumpilly, Ernakulam District, Kerala.The church was renovated by the metropolitan of Kottayam diocese Mor Gregorius Gheevarghese. H. H. Patriarch Zakka I consecrated the church in 1982. A small portion of the girdle belonging to Holy Virgin has been preserved here.The mortal remains of Metropolitan Mor Gregorius Gheevarghese were interred in the sanctuary of the church on February 23, 1999. Patriarch Zakka I visited this church again in April 2000 to offer memorial prayers at the tomb of the late Metropolitan.St. George's Simhasana Church at Perumpilly was founded by late Mor Yulius Elias Qoro, Patriarchal Delegate to Malankara in 1938.....more|
|St. Mary's Church Kandanad|
|St. Mary's Church is located at Kandanad, Near near the Udayamperoor-Tripunithura border, Ernakulam District, Kerala.The St.Mary’s Church of Kandanad is believed to be about more than 1000 years old. Since its inception, the church was renovated, remodeled and rebuilt on several occasions and the edifice in its present magnificent form appears to have been completed in AD 1910. Various stages of its construction are recorded at relevant portions in the mammoth structure. The Holy Virgin Mary church located in Kandanad is an ancient church of the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church.....more|
|St.George Orthodox Syrian Church Kadamattom|
|St.George Orthodox Syrian Church or Kadamattom chuch is located at Kadamattom, near Kolenchery, Ernakulam district, Kerala.It is between Ernakulam and Muvattupuzha, 30km from Ernakulam and 10km from Muvattupuzha. It is believed that the church was built in Malabar Era 40 and month Makaram 25th.The church fesitval is being celebrated every year in the same date. Kadamattom Church is one of the most famous churches in India. Lush of pilgrims to this place has been there from time immemorial. And the church was lively with the celebration of Holy Sacraments according to the Antiochean Syrian Orthodox rite.Like any other ancient church in Malankara, Kadamattom church also was involved in the faction feud.....more|
|St.Thomas Kottakkavu Forane Church|
|St.Thomas Kottakkavu Forane Church is located North Paravur, Ernalulam District, Kerala.St Thomas after reaching Azhikode travelled to many parts of Kerala and set up churches in the name of Jesus and made all efforts in developing faith in Christianity. Kottakavu Church is one of the churches that is well known in the name of St. Thomas and is now a pilgrimage centre to devotees.It was founded in AD 1566 by the parishioners of the old MorThoman church located nearby, under the leadership of Big Bazar Tharakans the local merchants. When they approached the Ruler of Paravur (Paravur Thampuran, an Hindu King) for sanction, he happily donated a plot of land situated in the midst of the seven bazaars of Paravur Town, tax free.....more|
|Kochi and Ernakulam existed as twin cities, almost inseparable. Kochi, formerly called Cochin is a prime tourist destinations in the state of Kerala. The place is situated on the Western Coast and abutted by Arabian Sea. The city lies to the north west of yet another important tourist destination called Kumarakom.Kochi is referred as the Gateway to Kerala and constitutes the headquarters of the Ernakulam district.Beautifully spread across string of picturesque and lovely islands, lagoons, small rivulets and swaying coconut palm trees, Cochin is one of the most sought after and tourist destinations in Kerala. Cochin is located at 220 km north of the capital city of Trivandrum in Ernakulam district of Kerala.Kochi is essentially a port city and many a times called the Queen of Arabian Sea.....more|
|Bhoothathankettu dam is a scenic dam site and tourist spot situated in the village of Pindimana, about 10 km away from the town of Kothamangalam, Thattekad and 50 kms away from the main city of Ernakulam. It is a popular picnic sport with Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary near by. A myth connected with the origin of this place says that this natural fortification of forests and hills was built by Bhoothams (spirit/ghosts) overnight. Hence the name Bhoothathankettu (fort of the spirits). Later, this natural topography helped in building a dam here. Lying close to Bhoothathankettu is the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary at Thattekkad . Trekking through the forests here is an exhilarating experience for adventure lovers.....more|
|Dutch Palace or the Mattancherry palace is situated at Palace Road, Mattancherry,10km from Ernakulam city, Kochi, Kerala. Built by the Portuguese and presented to the Raja of Kochi Veera Kerala Varma (1537-65) in 1555 AD, it took on its present popular name 'Dutch Palace' after 1663, when the Dutch carried out some extensions and renovations in the palace. The rajas also made more improvements to it. Today, it is a portrait gallery of the Cochin Rajas and notable for some of the best mythological murals in India, which are in the best traditions of Hindu Temple Art.There is an outstanding collection of mural paintings found inside. These murals beautifully depict scenes from the Hindu epics of Mahabharatha and Ramayana.....more|
|Pallippuram Fort is situated on the northern fringe of the c, Pallippuram Fort was built in 1507 AD, by the Portugese. It is considered to be the first fort built in India by the Europeans.It witnessed several battles between the Portugese and the Dutch. The hexagonal-shaped fort has three storeys and is now a protected monument.This fort is also popularly known as Ayakkotta or Alikkotta. In 1663 the Portuguese surrendered it to the Dutch. About 1789, through the strategic diplomacy of Raja Kesava Dasan, the able Devan of the Raja of Travancore, the Fort was purchased by the Travancore from the Dutch. From 1964 it is a protected monument of the Kerala state department of archaeology.he Catholic Church at Pallippuram is an important pilgrim centre for the Christians.....more|
|Cochin Golf Club|
|Cochin Golf Club is located at Bolghatty Island, Ernakulam District, kerala.Cochin Golf Club, established in 1922 has a 9 hole Golf Course.This will be a major attraction for tourists and golf enthusiasts, spreading 130 acres of undulating ground and water bodies. Its just 30 minutes drive from Kochi. It will be an international tourist destination attracting golfers from across the globe.The Bolghatty Palace was once the home of British Governors, it was built by the Dutch in 1744 A.D. The palace is now maintained by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation.KTDC Bolghatty Palace and Hotel are in the middle of this Golf Course. The breathtaking view of the Cochin Port, Harbour, Seamouth and Marine Drive can be enjoyed from here. The trophies include the famous The Richardson Cup and The Cotton Tankard is dated as far back as 1925.....more|
|Bolgatty Palace is situated in Bolgatty island, Ernakulam district, Kerala, India.This old Dutch palace is located on Bolgatty Island which is a brief boat ride away from the mainland. In fact, boat rides are available at regular intervals all day long. This building may have been a royal palace in the past, but in modern times it has been converted into a hotel quality hotel. This hotel is now run by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC). The mansion was originally built by Dutch traders in 1744 and was leased to the British in 1909. It is the oldest of the kind that exists outside Holland. It served as the British residency till 1949.....more|
|The Chendamangalam Fort is located in a small town called Chendamangalam Ernakulam district, Kerala Chendamangalam Fort has been standing for an unbelievable 450 years which is an unbelievable feat in itself. The Ernakulum district is in fact a petite town that came into the limelight by virtue of housing the colossal Chendamangalam.Apart from being an epitome of raw strength and pure vim, the Chendamangalam Fort of Kochi also houses an array of extremely precious and valuable artifacts which are reminiscent of the ancient history associated with this place. They include articles like important documents, relics that take the observer on a journey down the memory lane and many more intriguing items.he fort is surrounded by vast expanses of lush green landscape and small hillocks and has 3 rivers flowing nearby. The fort is 450 years old and houses some rare artifacts, relics and historical documents. The entire credit goes to the verdant grasslands that runs parallel to the three sprawling rivulets with emerald blue waters that blesses the whole area with its ominous presence.....more|
|Thripunithura Hill palace is located in Thripunithura, 12kn from Ernakulam, Ernakulam didtrict, kerala.The Hill Palace Museum in Kochi is the largest of all archeological museums in Kerala.Built in 1865, it was once the official residential palace of the royal family of Kochi. It is now a qualified Ethno archeological museum besides having the distinction of being the first Heritage Museum in Kerala.This Museum of archaeology at Thripunithura is made up of 49 buildings, surrounded by 52 acres of terraced land with ponds, fountains and lawns. The palace is a fine example of classical architecture.The palace museum is a big tourist spot as the hill palace Museum gives an in depth detail of the culture and customs of Kerala......more|
|Pierce Leslie Bungalow|
|Pierce Leslie Bungalow is loacted near Fort kochi, 13 km from Ernakulam, Ernakulam district, Kerala.Pierce Leslie Bungalow, built in 1862, is a representative of colonial buildings in Fort Kochi, 13 km away from Ernakulam. It was the former office of the famous coffee merchants, Pierce Leslie and Company. The architecture of the bungalow reveals the influence of local, Portuguese and Dutch style.Characteristic features of this bungalow are wood panels that form the roof of ground floor, arched doorways, carved doors and sprawling rooms. Water front verandas are an added attraction to the magnifient house Characteristic features are wood panels that form the roof of the ground floor, arched doorways, carved doors and sprawling rooms. Waterfront verandahs are an added attraction.An excursion to Pierce Leslie Bungalow and other significant monuments of Kerala, will instill in every visitor a sense of admiration for the rich historical and cultural past of the state.....more|
|Synagogue at Chennamangalam|
|Chennamangalam Synagogue is located in Chennamangalam, Ernakulam district, Kerala, which was built some 175 years back. The synagogue was recently restored to its original glory thanks to the hard work and effort of the Kerala State Archaeology Department with financial support from Kerala Tourism. It is a protected monument under the state department of archaeology.The exhibit in the newly-restored Chennamangalam Synagogue in Kerala was opened on Friday, February 24th, 2006 by Dr Shalva Weil, Jay Waronker, and Marian Scheuer Sofaer.This synagogue was recently restored to its original shape. The Chennamangalam synagogue is a protected monument under the state department of archaeology.The synagogue at Chennamangalam reflects traditional Kerala architecture and has made use of western construction technology as well.....more|
|Nedungad is a small island located in Ernakulam district of Kerala state, in southern India......more|
|Vallarpadam is one of the islands that make up the city of Kochi, Kerala, India. It is situated in the Vembanad lake and has a population of over 10,000. An international container transshipment terminal is under construction here. Vallarpadam is connected by the Goshree bridges with the city of Ernakulam and Vypin island. 70% of the island consists of paddy fields; the economy principally consisting of fishing by traditional methods and cultivation of rice.....more|
|Vypin, also spelled Vypeen is an island in Ernakulam district of Kerala. The island which is about 27 km long was formed in the year 1341 after a heavy flood. It is known to be the island having highest density of population in the world. It is connected to Kochi by a bridge from Kalamuku. There are regular boat services from Fort Kochi to Vypin Island.Vypeen is like a hand stretched out to the water. 27 km long and 2.5 km wide, with sea and backwater on either side, Vypeen is mostly densely populated but suffers from a shortage of fresh potable water during the dry season.Pallipuram Panchayat, in which Cherai is included, is at the northern end of Vypin Island.....more|
|Willingdon Island is the home of the modern port that serves Kochi in Kerala, India. It is a man-made island created from the materials dredged while deepening Kochi Port, it's in Ernakulam district of Kerala in south India. It's named after Lord Willingdon, the erstwhile governor of Madras who had a hand in the project. Robert Bristow, the chief protagonist and engineer for the project owned the first building on the island.A port hostel was built to accommodate passengers who wished to halt for a short while and it was named as the Malabar Hotel.....more|
|Veeranpuzha is located in Cochin, Kerala, south India.It is the northern extension of Vembanad Lake. From Kochi Azhi to Munambam Azhi, the serene backwaters popularly known in this name Veeranpuzha. Veeranpuzha is the name of Vembanadu Lake at Vypeen Island. In early 80's there were regular ferry services from Munambam to Ernakulam. Though it stretches from Ernakulam to Munambam, Veeranpuzha's Nayarmbalam part is the most scintillating landscape. You can never forget the sight in your lifetime.Most of the people are fishermen and agrarians. The people are very co-operative and innocent. They are cultured and educated too. Local people can be very dependable in case of any emergency.Still now very few tourists visit Veeranpuzha. Most of them do not aware about it. Very recently some resorts are being made in the banks of it.....more|
|The mosque is situated at Kanjiramattom, 30 km from Kochi district, kerala nad it is believed to have been built as a memorial to Sheikh Fariduddin.The Kanjiramattom mosque is the right example of antique beauty of mazhars and dargahs. It is believed that the great muslim saint Baver has prayed in this Mosque and attained eternal bliss. It is believed that the mosque was erected over the mortal remains of a Muslim saint, Sheikh Parid. Another great Muslimsaint, Baver is supposed to have prayed here and attained salvation.....more|
|Cochin Maritime Museum|
|Cochin Maritime Museum is located in Fort Kochi, Ernakulam district, Kerala.Maritime Museum, Kerala, located at INS Dronacharya in Kochi and focusing on the maritime heritage of the Indian Navy is one of the most popular museums of Kerala, the Maritime Museum features the history, evolution and landmarks of the Indian Navy. The museum, with different sections, exhibits various items illustrating the glorious maritime heritage of India. Many of these items date back to the Indus Valley Civilization. It also gives the visitors a clear cut idea about the different processes involved in shipbuilding. Apart from this, the museum highlights aspects related to the Indo-Pak conflicts of 1965 and 1971, the Goa liberation and various military operations carried out by the Indian Navy. Once inside the Maritime Museum, you will find how the naval forces evolved with time, ancient trade links of Kerala with the Arabs during Indus Valley civilization.....more|
|Hill Palace Museum|
|Hill Palace Museum is located at Tripunithura, Trivendrum, kerala.The Hill Palace Museum is Kerala's first heritage museum. It was set up in the year 1865 and now is an important tourist attraction. The Hill Palace Museum of Kochi is situated on a hillock and is surrounded by 50 acres of manicured lawns with fountains and ponds. The whole complex consists of around 49 buildings that are built in the traditional architectural style of Kerala. This palace used to be the residence of the rulers of Kochi at one point of time the largest archaeological museum in Kerala and the erstwhile official residence of the Kochi Royal Family, was built in 1865. Hill Palace is situated at a distance of about 12kms from Kochi on Ernakulam- Chottanikkara route. It is a single storied building in the traditional Kerala style and is called "Ettukettu".....more|
|Indo-Portuguese Museum is located at Fort kochi, Ernakulam district, Kerala. The museum provides facilities to understand the cultural heritages of India and Portugal. Dr Joseph Kureethra, the Bishop of Kochi made an untiring effort to establish this museum. The main objective is to preserve some of the invaluable items showing Portuguese influence, used in the Catholic churches in south India, It throws light on the strong Portuguese influence in both the art and the architecture of the region.The museum today is an important center to understand the Indo-Portuguese Christian Art heritage, which is still surviving. The Indo Portuguese Museum vouches for the supreme reign of the Portuguese in Kochi, as it is one of the very rare buildings that procures a domicile to many of the precious artworks and other relics belonging to the Indo-Portuguese era.....more|
|Muvattupuzha River is one of the important rivers in Ernakulam District of Kerala. Muvattupuzha is the river there cutting the city into three segments. This river is a union of three streams, Thodupuzha river, Kaliyar river and Kothamangalam river.These three small rivers conglomerate at Muvattupuzha to transform to the big Muvattupuzha river and there from flows smoothly to rest at the Vaikom backwaters embracing the various interior areas of Ernakulam and Kottayam districts. Since the merger of three rivers realizes at this place, this area was named Muvattupuzha, meaning the place where three rivers unite.Muvattupuzha is a municipality in Ernakulam district in the Indian state of Kerala.Muvattupuzha which means 'Moo', which stands for 'three', 'aaru' - river, and 'puzha', which also means a river.....more|
|Chottanikkara Bhagavathy Temple is one of the most celebrated Hindu shrines of Kerala and it is located in Chottanikkara town, 17kms away from Ernakulam. Rajarajeswari (Adiparasakthi) alias Durga Bhagavathy - the mother Goddess, is the presiding deity of the temple. It is said that this deity was brought from Mookambika Temple in Kollur, Karnataka and therefore there is a presence of Mookambika (Saraswathy) Devi till 7am in the morning. The most interesting thing of this temple is that the image is not rooted or supported to the ground and is ascended on loose sand. Worshipping at Chottanikkara temple is supposed to rid devotees of wicked influences and spirits as well as psychological ailments. The structure of this temple was renovated by the Cochin government in the 19th century.....more|
|Mulamkuzhi waterfall is a small village about 15 kilometers from Malayattur. The river Mulamkuzhi flows through the nearby mountain ranges and cascades into a huge waterfall with sweet, medicated water. The Venanbravady waterfall near Malayattur is also worth visiting.There is also a confluence of the rivers Periyar and Perumthode.....more|
|Malayatoor Church which is 47km from Cochin. A very important and famous Christian pilgrimage of Kerala, the Malayatoor Church of Cochin attracts a large number of devotees from not just Kerala, but also all over India. It is believed that St. Thomas prayed at this church when he landed in Kerala. St. Thomas was the one who took initiative to begin a Christian community over here. He is supposed to have come here in 52 A.D. Situated near the church is a hill that is supposed to have his footprints on a rock. Read on further to know more about Malayatoor Church of Kochi.St. Thomas founded churches in different places in Kerala including Kollam, Kodungalloor, Nilakkal, Niranam, etc.....more|
|Gundu Island is the smallest of all the islands that constitute together the city of Kochi. The area of this island in the back waters of Kochi is only 5 acres and the land is mostly covered with coconut trees.With an area of under 5 acres, Gundu is easily the smallest island around Cochin. The only building in it is a coir factory run by a co-operative society.Since, the Gundu Island at Kochi has coconut trees all around it, there is a coir factory on the island.The factory produces ropes and carpets from handmade looms and is very beautiful. Most of these ropes and carpets are bought by the tourists who visit the small island.....more|
|Ramanthuruth is one of the islands that make up the city of Kochi, Kerala, India. The November 1967 amalgamation order of the Kerala Legislative Assembly declared Ramanthuruth Island as part of Kochi.....more|
|Venduruthy is a small island in Kochi, India. It is now a part of the greater Willingdon Island. The isolated island is approachable only from the Ernakulam backwater channel. It boasted of two edifices-the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, it was built by the early Portuguese settlers in the 16th century.....more|